Do you want to make a difference? The Collinsville, Fairview Heights, and O’Fallon Police Departments have teamed up to bring you one test and one process to be hired as a police officer.
The Requirements: In order to be considered for employment, candidates must possess and adhere to the following:
- Be between the ages of 21 and 35. Exceptions: 1) Candidates who are over 35 years of age, and have any amount of fulltime law enforcement experience with a municipality in any state, are eligible, 2) Candidates who have Illinois Sheriff Deputy and/or Illinois State Police patrol experience are eligible up to the age of 40, and 3) Candidates who are 20 years of age and have successfully completed 2 years of law enforcement studies at an accredited college or university, are eligible; 4) a military veteran shall be allowed to exceed age 35 by the number of service years in active military duty, up to 10 years.
- Possess an Associate’s Degree or above in law enforcement or a related field, -OR- the Board may consider an applicant who (1) has successfully received credit for a minimum of sixty-four (60) semester hours towards a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; (2) has served for 24-months of honorable active duty in the United States Armed Forces and has not been discharged dishonorably; (3) has served for 180 days of active duty in the United States Armed Forces in combat duty recognized by the Department of Defense and has not been discharged dishonorably; Be a U.S. citizen or an alien admitted for permanent residency or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Possess a valid Illinois license or have the capability to obtain one at the time of the appointment.
- Pass written examinations, agility tests, oral interviews, background investigation(s), physical examination, vision test, polygraph test, and an extensive psychological examination. All of the medical examinations will be conducted by department physicians.
- Possess the capability of being accepted into and successfully completing a state mandated police basic training academy.
- Meet residency requirements.
- Have no visible tattoos when wearing a short sleeve duty uniform (short sleeve shirt, long pants). Applicants with tattoos on their neck, face, head, hands, forearms, and lower portion of the upper arm will not be eligible.
The Process: Applicants must complete the necessary application, which must be received by 4:00 PM on Friday, July 16th, 2021. The application can be submitted electronically via our website www.joinfhpd.org, scanned to firstname.lastname@example.org , or mailed/delivered to: Amber Hopkins, Fairview Heights Police Department, 10027 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights, IL, 62208.
All qualifying applicants will then take a physical agility test on Saturday, July 31st, 2021 at 8 AM. Applicants must bring with them a completed copy of the Medical Permission Form. Applicants who pass the physical agility test will then take a written examination immediately following. Applicants who have a valid power test card, submitted in advance, will need to arrive at 11:30 AM for the written exam only. Power Test cards must be issued February 1st, 2021 or later. The Collinsville, Fairview Heights, and O’Fallon testing board will notify all candidates of their written examination results and ranking on the eligibility register. Candidates who are eligible for veteran, educational, or law enforcement certification preference points will have an opportunity to claim them once they are placed on the eligibility register.
An Equal Opportunity Employer